Preface by the editors
1. Regional Governance in the EU or: What Happened to the ‘Europe of the Regions’? Introduction
Gabriele Abels and Jan Battke
Part I: Normative and Conceptual Perspective on Regionalisation and Governance
The Contribution of Regions to EU Democracy
3. Deconstructing and Reconstructing Good Governance in Relation to Regional and Local Participation in EU Decision-Making Processes
4. Neo-regionalism in Europe: The Process of Delimiting Regional Boundaries
Part II: Dynamics of Intra-state Regionalisation and its Implications
5. Developing Autonomy – Are there Alternatives to Secession?
6. The Catalan Secession Bid – Between Structural and Contemporary Tensions within the State of Autonomies
7. Reforming the Territorial Constitution in Italy: Some Reflections on Durability and Change
Part III: Macro-regional Dynamics and European Integration
8. Scaling and Rescaling in EU Spatial Governance
Franziska Sielker and Dominic Stead
9. Experimentalist Governance and EU Macro-regional Strategies: New Dynamics in European Regional and Territorial Cooperation?
10. Cultural Dimension of Macro-regions. A Prospective Reflection
Part IV: Regions in Supranational Democratic Governance
11. The EU’s Multilevel Parliamentary System: Escaping from the Trilemma of Market Integration, National Democracy and National Sovereignty
12. Regions and the Parliamentarisation of EU Governance: Is the Early Warning System the Solution?
13. Regions as Lobbyists
14. Conclusions: A ‘Europe with the Regions’ in the Making
Jan Battke and Gabriele Abels