List of Abbreviations
1. Theorizing Immigrant-Excluding Welfare Reforms
The Progressive’s Dilemma: Immigration versus the Welfare State?
Immigrant-Excluding Welfare Reforms (and Their Alternatives)
The Political Translation of Economic Facts
Forces of Continuity: Institutionalizing Immigrants’ Social Rights
Forces of Change: Contesting Immigrants’ Social Rights
2. The Limits of Economic Explanations
Immigrant Welfare Use and Public Opinion
Immigrant Welfare Use and Support for Welfare Exclusion in Three Countries
3. Sweden: Universalism, Even for Newcomers?
A Story of Gradual Inclusion
Framing Welfare Dependence as Utanförskap
Anti-Migrant Politics in the Margins, but for How Long?
4. Canada: Stability in a Country of Immigrants
Continuation of the Canadian Model of Immigration and Welfare
Faulty Admission and ‘Bogus’ Claimants: Framing Immigrants’ Welfare Dependence
Political Battles at the Margins of the Canadian Model
5. The Netherlands: The Sudden Surge of Selective Solidarity
A Recent History of Immigrant-Excluding Welfare Reforms
From Taboo to Cliché: Increasing Concerns about Immigrants’ Welfare Reliance
Reaching the Boundaries of Exclusion
List of Interviews