Fundamentals of Satellite Remote Sensing: An Environmental Approach, Second Edition is a definitive guide to remote sensing systems that focuses on satellite-based remote sensing tools and methods for space-based Earth observation (EO). It presents the advantages of using remote sensing data for studying and monitoring the planet, and emphasizes concepts that make the best use of satellite data.
The book begins with an introduction to the basic processes that ensure the acquisition of space-borne imagery and provides an overview of the main satellite observation systems. It then describes visual and digital image analysis, highlights various interpretation techniques, and outlines their applications to science and management. The latter part of the book covers the integration of remote sensing with GIS for environmental analysis.
Based on the first English version published in 2010, this latest edition has been written to reflect a global audience, and factors in international debates and legal issues surrounding EO, as well as future developments and trends.
New in the Second Edition:
- Includes additional illustrations now in full color
- Uses sample images acquired from different ecosystems at different spatial resolutions to illustrate different interpretation techniques
- Updates information on recent satellite missions (Landsat-8, Sentinel-2, hyperspectral and hyperspatial programs)
- Covers near-ground missions (including UAV) and ground sensors (spectro-radiometers, cameras, LIDAR, etc.) to support EO analysis
- Offers analysis of image spatial properties
- Presents material on visual analysis, time series analysis, and data fusion
- Provides examples of EO data that cover different environmental problems, with particular relevance to global observation
Fundamentals of Satellite Remote Sensing: An Environmental Approach, Second Edition details the tools that provide global, recurrent, and comprehensive views of the processes affecting the Earth and is a must-have for researchers, academics, students, and professionals involved in the field of environmental science.