Preface and Acknowledgement
1. Democratic Empowerment in the EU: An Introduction
David Levi-Faur, Nir Kosti and Frans Van Waarden
2. Involvement of national parliaments in the political system of the European Union: a way for democratic empowerment?
3. Political inequality and democratic empowerment in the European Union: The Role of the European Parliament
Sandra Seubert, Oliver Eberl and Daniel Gaus
4. The European Citizens Initiative from Comparative Perspective
Fernando Mendez, Roman Zwicky and Daniel Kübler
5. The European Ombudsman
Marco Inglese and Tom Binder
6. Direct democracy in the European Union: An Option for Democratic Empowerment?
Francis Cheneval and Mónica Ferrín
7. Education for a Civic Culture
Wieger Bakker, Marlot van der Kolk and Viktor Koska
8. Competition Law and the EU Democratic Deficit
Anna Gerbrandy and Rutger Fransen
9. Regulation by litigation as a form of Empowerment
10. How Financial Market Constraints and Technocratic Decision-making Impact on European Political Citizenship and Democracy?
Robert Csehi and Uwe Puetter
11. The Financialization of EU Citizenship: An Alternative to Democratic Empowerment
Hanan Haber and David Levi-Faur
12. Democratic Empowerment and the Future of the EU: Some lessons from Brexit
Keren Dinur, Nir Kosti, David Levi-Faur and Guy Mor